The stately house Toonarbin on Dornoch Terrace was built in the late 1860s by Henry O’Reilly, who was a sea captain and later Brisbane manager of the Australasian Steam Navigation Company. He had previously built a house called ‘Montpellier’ at Bowen Hills on what was called at the time ‘O’Reilly’s Hill’. This house was later extended and occupied for many years by James Cowlishore, architect, newspaper proprietor, director and politician and his family.
After selling Montpelier, the O’Reilly’s lived for a while in a cottage in Mary Street where the ANSC offices were later built.
O’Reilly purchased the land on which Toonarbin stands from the architect Benjamin Blackhouse who had named the property Toonarbin.
The name Toonarbin comes from the novel “Geoffrey Hamlyn” written by Henry Kingsley in 1859. Partly set in Australia, two stations, Toonarbin and Baroona, feature in the book. It must have been a favourite of Blackhouse as he also designed the house Baroona in Paddington, Brisbane. His other works include Fernberg, now Government House and Bishopsbourne.
At the time it was built, Toonarbin was very isolated and neighboring houses only began to appear around 20 years later.
Henry O’Reilly was an amateur astronomer and had an observatory in the grounds of Toonarbin. He wrote numerous letters to the editor on astronomical matters. This is a typical one.
Henry died in February 1875 and is buried in the family grave at the South Brisbane Cemetery at Dutton park.
Charles O’Reilly was Henry’s son. He ran a bonded warehouse, customs agency, and general carrier business in Margaret Street. There was recently some controversy regarding demolition of this premises.
Charles lived in Toonarbin from the time of his marriage until his death in 1925.
The property behind the house, known as ”O’Reilly’s Paddock” was used for community activities. On one occasion in 1912, 500 children from 3 local schools had a picnic there.
In 1926, the house and land were purchased by the Catholic church.
The house became a convent of the Sisters of Mercy. The brick outer walls were constructed around 1927.
In 1912, part of the estate had been subdivided into 68 allotments which all sold for a total of £5,610. Most of the remaining land was subdivided in 1928. Gray Road and River Terrace pass through the original property, which stretched down to the river.
The house was vacated by the church and remained empty for 12 years until purchased by private owners in 2007. Their restoration of the property is described in this article with interior photos