With its huge spreading shade trees and pleasant breezy riverside location, Orleigh Park is understandably a great favourite with many residents and visitors. However, this pleasant place of recreation had its origins in tragedy.
Daphne Mayo is most famous for her work on Brisbane's City Hall. She was highly successful in both an artistic and commercial sense thriving as a women sculptor in the Depression years. She lived in Highgate Hill on and off for 40 years.
After reaching a peak of social prominence in the early 20th century, Musgrave Park underwent many changes, survived numerous threats to its existence and has emerged with a new identity.
Over time, Musgrave Park in South Brisbane has been perceived in many different ways, reflecting changes in our society and the demographics of the surrounding neighbourhood. Come with me on a journey through its past.
Sankey Street is one of the steepest in Brisbane and is named after a family who lived in the area well before the street was conceived. The family has connections with Queensland's early military history as well as optometry.
The little South Brisbane Memorial Park is not well known, but it sits in the centre of a late 19th century precinct, split by busy Vulture Street.
On the morning of Christmas Eve 1926, the first train from Sunnybank came to a halt just before Park Road Station at Woolloongabba, waiting for a green signal to continue. Passengers on the left side of the train were startled to see a man and woman lying together partly undressed on a bank next to the railway line. They had been murdered and the perpetrator was never found.
Ernie and Mabel Lane were both dedicated communists. After spending some time in an Australian socialist colony in Paraguay, they settled into a home in Dauphine Terrace, Highgate Hill. Both continued to be activists for social change.
Doctor Jefferis Turner made great contributions to children’s health in Queensland. He was also an expert in moths.
The distinctive house "Mon Abri" in Brighton road, Highgate Hill cost thousands of pounds to build in 1890 and still today is a landmark in the suburb.