After reaching a peak of social prominence in the early 20th century, Musgrave Park underwent many changes, survived numerous threats to its existence and has emerged with a new identity.
Over time, Musgrave Park in South Brisbane has been perceived in many different ways, reflecting changes in our society and the demographics of the surrounding neighbourhood. Come with me on a journey through its past.
Sankey Street is one of the steepest in Brisbane and is named after a family who lived in the area well before the street was conceived. The family has connections with Queensland's early military history as well as optometry.
The little South Brisbane Memorial Park is not well known, but it sits in the centre of a late 19th century precinct, split by busy Vulture Street.
On the morning of Christmas Eve 1926, the first train from Sunnybank came to a halt just before Park Road Station at Woolloongabba, waiting for a green signal to continue. Passengers on the left side of the train were startled to see a man and woman lying together partly undressed on a bank next to the railway line. They had been murdered and the perpetrator was never found.
Ernie and Mabel Lane were both dedicated communists. After spending some time in an Australian socialist colony in Paraguay, they settled into a home in Dauphine Terrace, Highgate Hill. Both continued to be activists for social change.
Doctor Jefferis Turner made great contributions to children’s health in Queensland. He was also an expert in moths.
The distinctive house "Mon Abri" in Brighton road, Highgate Hill cost thousands of pounds to build in 1890 and still today is a landmark in the suburb.
In the late 1870s, fears of a Russian invasion led to increased spending on defence. On a hot February afternoon in 1879, volunteers were running all over Highgate Hill firing at each other and letting off their cannons in a military exercise. A crowd gathered to watch the spectacle.
After the unusual beginnings of this house as a home built for a man estranged from his family and his new companion, it was sold to the Lutheran church. From here the Church’s missions in New Guinea were run, with some unexpected episodes.