After the unusual beginnings of this house as a home built for a man estranged from his family and his new companion, it was sold to the Lutheran church. From here the Church’s missions in New Guinea were run, with some unexpected episodes.
A distinctive old house on Dornoch Terrace was built by a man, estranged from his family, for his new companion but it was taken from her after his death by the Supreme Court.
The Blakeney family owned two substantial houses in Highgate Hill located on huge blocks of land. Unfortunately neither have survived but memories of the family linger on as street names.
A house in Franklin Street, Highgate Hill, has connections to France, the gold rush in Victoria, an early Brisbane tobacconist, a Brisbane brewery and philanthropic women. Find out about a remnant of the long forgotten brewery.
For about 90 years, Highgate hill had its own railway station at Gloucester Street but it was out of the way and never heavily patronised.
Stately Toonarbin built in the 1860s is one of the district's oldest houses and predates the creation of Dornoch Terrace on which it now stands.
Dornoch Terrace is lined with productive tamarind trees. Their history dates back to the 1850s.
The original bridge on Dornoch Terrace passing over Boundary Street was built in the 1880s. The current bridge was the first stage of a river crossing that was never built.
Since 1903, the little park on the peak of Highgate Hill has been a popular spot for Brisbane residents. It has seen famous visitors and has been proposed for various memorials.
Westbourne Street in Highgate Hill illustrates how the break up of large estates in the first half of the twentieth century resulted in new architectural styles being explored.